Saturday, April 3, 2010


It's great to be home! I have been away since the middle of November when I first ventured forth into the mission field of Hamilton and the rest of the family have been away since that fateful day of Wednesday 6th of January. How things have changed. So what's happening...

Joel has had a steady flow of visitors which has been fantastic. The first night back 10 had arrived by 7 o'clock and Joel was whacked by 9 when I 'shut down' the party. As a result he slept through to ten the next morning and also had to have a 3 hour sleep in the afternoon just to catch up...we were warned that fatigue would be more of an issue when we got home. But it was so good to see Joel home yaking and interacting with his mates. We have said it all along ... we have been very grateful that Joel has had such great mates who are prepared to hang in there with him through his recovery. Their encouragement and visits have been instrumental in keeping him focused on coming home but their willingness to understand and work with what is happening has been so helpful over the last 3 months.

We have had visits from his 'team' here in Tauranga, the physio and OT. After spending time with Joel and assessing where he is at they have recommended that he starts back at school, picking up one subject at the beginning of the term. Usually they organize outings during the week to help with recovery but they think that Joel is ready and motivated enough to make school work. He is over the moon as school is where he wants to be! He also had a visit to the hospital to the blokes who make splints. The idea was to get one especially fitted for Joel so that it was more comfortable for him. Well the fella there made Joel walk around a bit and hey presto announces that he doesn't think Joel needs a splint as such. When he saw the 'modifications' I had done on his old splint he immediately threw it in the rubbish bin...ha... he obviously didn't appreciate my fine engineering skills with a stanley knife! He fitted Joel with this little gismo thingy...a strap around his ankle and a hook that is laced into the toe end of his laces with a rubber band connecting them both, thus giving the foot a little help up as he walks. The end result of this is that Joel is walking with his left foot doing a natural heel toe movement for the first time in 3 months. Since being home he has walked around the park next door every day and it is getting easier with this new band thingy. The other thing we have noticed is that he is getting so much more natural movment in the left foot as a result. He still wants prayer... for his left foot, side and stamina and that his walking becomes more natural and fluid.  Thanks heaps.

Yesterday arvo we went to the church and walked around the Easter Journey presentation. Moving! Facing death is still a bit raw for us all and to think that Jesus went through all He did so that we can have a loving relationship with God...sobering. Without hesitation Joel wanted to write a postal note of thanks prayer for the large wall towards the end of the journey. Then out the end to be caught up in the warm greetings of friends we haven't seen for a while.

With most of his mates away at Easter camps it has been reasonably quiet here which has been good. Thank you for your prayers and we will keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment